Prepared to Lose Your Glasses? 10 pointers for choosing a LASIK or Laser Vision CorrectionThe world of ophthalmology is among the fastest evolving fields of medicine. Never before have numerous brand-new methods and clinical advancements emerged in such a short time period. LASIK surgery, which utilizes an excimer laser to reshape the cornea, uses millions of people the chance to minimize or remove their need for glasses or contacts .
Tv and radio ads are filled with remarkable stories about LASIK surgery as the painless and fast method to correct vision, however stories are likewise appearing about people for whom it was less than successful. Prior to you decide to go under the beam, what can you do to assist guarantee that you will be delighted with your results?
The key to safe surgical treatment in any field of medication is an educated client. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are thinking about for laser eye surgery. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction surgeons in a national survey by Ophthalmology Times, uses the following standards to quality care and treatment.
1. Discover a medical professional by getting referrals from other doctors or from clients who have actually had LASIK or laser vision correction.
2. Do not be tricked by expensive ads about a specific laser center. Pick the doctor, not the laser. Learn who will really do your procedure, then ask about that medical professional's credentials (e.g., board certification, unique training).
3. Choose a imp source physician who has done at least 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgical treatments. What a medical professional doesn't understand can harm you.
4. Ask for info on your medical professional's LASIK eye surgery issue rates. Find another one if your medical professional won't tell you. For leading cosmetic surgeons, the figure is under 3 in 1,000.
5. Ask exactly what measures are required to prevent infection. Search for a center with a sterile or dust-free operating room. Make sure that disposable parts are not recycled. Insist that your eye is completely disinfected, and firmly insist that the surgical instruments be decontaminated before your eye laser surgery to remove the risk of transmission of HIV or liver disease.
Beware of advertisements pressing "low cost" LASIK surgery. Discount surgical treatment is as excellent as a discount rate parachute.
Anticipate to see very well after LASIK, but do not expect to see perfectly. As with any eye laser surgery, results are as private as each patient. Be careful of any doctor who promises her response 20/20 vision.
If you feel like you're getting a difficult sell, you most likely are. You're not purchasing a car; this is genuine LASIK eye surgical treatment.
If your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so, implantable lenses will probably use much better vision than LASIK. Ask your doctor about them and other recent advances.
10. While you investigate, do not lose sight of the benefits: for look here many people, a lifetime of bad vision can be cured in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgery has actually enhanced the eyesight of countless people all over the world.